Wednesday, July 29, 2009

In the Heat of the Moment

I am hot, but in a cool place. I can feel the chill of something other than desert and rock under the side of my face. It almost feels as if I have been flash frozen, like a piece of whitefish on some factory ship. I have my eyes open... I think, but see nothing but the white flash that was burned into my sight when the Clarok went off.

There is movement at my feet, a hand grasps my ankle, then pats it.
"Jake... is that you?"
It is Andy's voice.
"Yeah. Can you see?"
"Nothing but white... you?

"Well shit." Lou joins in. "Either we all made it to hell, or we made it off that mountain."
"Can you see anything, Lou?"
"Nope."

As the conversation goes we realize that we are all in one place. But what place we aren't sure. No one can see anything but flash in their eyes. The one thing I realize right off the bat is that I am no longer in pain.
"Lou, do you feel all right?"

"Never better, Nancy."
"For being shot three times, I mean."
"Hey... I'm not shot any more."
"Me niether."

Where ever we are, things change. A door opens and a familiar voice sounds.
"We have no event. I repeat, no event. Log the time down. Let's get the artifact back into hermetic storage."

It is Dr. Adams from the ship.

Footsteps enter the room. "Gentleman, I am sorry. We had hoped this wasn't going to be for not, but it looks as though we might have built this whole thing up for nothing."

There is a pause while he looks at us laying about the floor.
"Gentlemen, are you okay?"
"Just blinded, but I am hoping it is temporary."

I feel a helping hand lifting me to my feet, then that hand as fingers lift first one eyelid, then the other.
"Interesting."
"To say the least, Doc."

Lou struggles to his feet and then reaches out for something to steady himself. There is nothing but the Clarok, and Dr. Adams is quick to keep him from touching it. It is then that he lets out a little... well... shriek.

"Oh my God. Oh my God, the inlay... you got inlay. How?"

Chris starts to speak, then pauses as he gets to his feet.
"We played hell... getting that gold. Next time you want someone to go on these little journeys, you can pick someone else."

"Journey? But you haven't gone anywhere. The artifact vibrated, then flashed, and you all ended up on the floor."

I don't know about anyone else, but shadows are making their way back into my vision.
"Listen, we just spent four days and nights tracking down that gold. We were shot at, blown up, almost hanged, robbed, taken for outlaws. Hell, I bet we killed a hundred men just trying to get through this thing and back home."

There is stunned silence in the room.
"Doc?"
"Yes... yes, I am here. Oh my god."
"Yeah, you said that." Chris tells him, "What the hell is going on here?"

"Christopher? Are you all right?"
It is Antonelli's mother, and by the smell of the perfume that waifts into the room... Angelica.

"Fine. I think that damn thing flash blinded us, but my vision is coming back." He tells her.

I rub my eyes and it seems to help. Slowly shadows become more defined. I can make out everyone in the room and in the doorway.

"Would you gentlemen mind coming into the conference room where we can get you some refreshement and then debrief you." Mrs. Antonelli seems a bit anxious. She leans into Angelica.
"Have all personel vacate this deck. I want security on the doors leading to the lounge."

"If you mean refreshment as in something from the bar then let's have at it." Chris tells her. There is quite a bit of enthusiasm for this idea, so we are all led out of the room and back to the lounge where we had gathered so many days before. We were finally back and I can hardly believe it.

In the lounge we have the run of the bar. Chris' mother pleads with us to not go to quickly with the alcohol before we have had a chance to explain ourselves. Everyone is anxious to tell their part of the story, so the first couple of gulps go down quickly, but then we are all involved in telling the tale of our journey.

Our audience is awestruck as we relay, in detail, what transpired. There is a digital camcorder taking it all down to be analyzed later. Each of us fills in their part as the story goes on. Two hours... while it is all fresh in our minds. Google Earth and map overlays are put together. There is a David Rumsey map that is pulled up that shows Arizona in the time we had been there. With that and the current aerial satellite view from Google we can show them where we had been.

"There is too much detail to be mass hypnosis." Dr. Adams says to himself.
"Mass hypnosis? I was shot twice and blown up. That wasn't mass hypnosis. Lou was shot three times just before we came back. Hell, not more than an hour ago." I look at him and he nods.

"This is amazing."

"I met some Indians." Mike reports, "Showed them a thing or two about cooking."
He looks at Andy, "Andy used a bow and arrow better than some of their warriors."

"Indians?" Dr. Adams is beside himself.
"Same Indians that harbored Geronimo in the territory. They were a tough group. I just hope the Army didn't get to them. That is who they were going after when we blew the trail and vamoosed it out of there." Andy tells him.

It goes on. Three bourbons later and Lou and me are taken down to another part of the ship to be x-rayed. Once they snap the shots we are returned to the lounge. Chris, Andy, and Mike are no longer there... just Ollie and the bottle of blue agave he is holding.

"Dónde están los chicos?" Lou asks him.
"Ellos fueron a bañarse y ser vestido." His words are strung together in a building tequila haze.
"The boys are cleaning up and changing their clothes." Lou translates.
"That sounds like a plan. Why aren't we doing that?"

"Because I wanted to ask you a question."
We didn't see Mrs. Antonelli sitting in the corner of the lounge
"Certainly, Ma'am." Lou replies.

"Would you gentlemen be willing to make a short expedition tomorrow afternoon? I will have the G5 readied for a hop to Sky Harbor in Phoenix, then one of our helicoptors to fly you to the site."

"The sight of what?" I am bourbon slow to the subject.

"The site of your return. These "spirit mountains", the cavern with the crystals. Do you think you could find it again? It looks as though developement in that area is minimal. There should be very little change."

The question was already put to Andy and Mike. They have declined and need to get back to their lives for a while. Chris and Ollie are on board. I am excited at the prospect of what me might find.

We freshen up and are take the launch ashore. It's just me, Lou, and Ollie for drinks and dinner. The rest of 'em are "too tired" from our ordeal and want to stay on board in the lap of luxury. I just want to have some Muerte Verde and a big fat Walker and look at the boat from shore.

"Pussies." Lou is slightly disgusted.
"Mike looked worn out." I tell him, "Now Andy... he is just whimping out."
"Chris... él es justo una niña." Ollie chuckles.
"Ya, he is acting like a little girl all right."
"Pussy." Lou shakes his head.

We take the steps up to the entrance and immediately see a problem.
"Where is everyone?"
There is a note in mother tongue on the podium beyond the velvet rope that is supposed to forbid us entry. Lou snaps it up and reads it.
"Closed for a funeral... better be someone fucking important."

This place has no doors to lock, so it is basically the honor system. We do have honor... but we have money to spend and definately a need for Muerte. I step over the rope and immediately I hear an alarm go off.
"Must be an electronic eye or something." Chris states.

"No shit." I reply, stepping back for a moment.

From around the corner there is a flash of blue uniform and a shotgun comes up with a shouted warning to freeze. Then the gun comes down and smiles all around.
"HEY... Loco, I'm sure glad it is you." I tell him as he comes over.

There are a few heartfelt handshakes and a bearhug or two.
"The owner's grandson fell from the rocks at the falls. He is closed for today for the child's funeral. No food, not for cooking. There are some shrimps and chilled lobster meats for you boys."

Lou pulls out a wad of cash and hands it to Loco. "This should cover anything we eat or drink, my friend." Whether it makes to the owner, or Loco uses it for other means, we are covered.

Before long it is the four of us, a table overlooking the bay, a skull of near frozen Muerte Verde, Negro Modelo, and a large platter overflowing with three bite shrimp, two lobster tails each, and scallops the size of hockey pucks.

Loco tells us that Whitey is out on a charter with three beautiful blondes and a photographer. He got to see two of them naked before Whitey took them out and that was enough to hold him for the rest of the year. We ask after his family, what has been going on in town, how Whitey is doing... but we don't talk about where we have been. I don't think we ever will unless it is among ourselves.

The night falls with our second skull. Loco sleeps in his chair and Lou takes up his shotgun and lays it across his lap. We are full of seafood and there is still half again as much as we consumed on the platter. Ollie asks if we will be eating more and we both shake our heads. He carries it back to the kitchen and then returns with a bowl of grapes. After putting in reach of us, he plucks a few and munches them down.

"You don't suppose that was all some kind of dream, do you?" Lou says almost in a whisper.
"First of all, I don't think we could all have a dream that vivid and have it be the same among each us, and this was." I take a shot of Muerte and let the effect wash over me.
"I guess we find out tomorrow."

I do remember the boat coming for us, stumbling down the stairs. My pants are wet from my knees down, so I didn't load on from the dock, I must have climbed in from the surf.
Now I sit on the edge of my bed, my head in a Muerte fog that will take much of the morning to clear, I am told through the door that our flight will be leaving in fifteen minutes. Time enough to shit, shower, and shave. I do the first and leave the other two for our return.

We helo in to the airport. Naomi is still in her chocks. Abigail is gone, of course. Jerry has business to tend to and we won't see him until we return to El Corazon. Chris' G5 is fueled and waiting for us as we land. It is not more than a minute from when we all get on board that we are taxiing for take-off position.

"You do have coffee on board?" I ask from behind closed eyes.
"We have a full bar and coffee selection, sir." The flight attendant replies.
There is a quick announcement for take-off and then seconds later the surge of power and we are airborne. I literally remember nothing after this until I feel us touchdown in Phoenix.

I feel rested after the flight. Turns out none of us were awake for the flight and this perturbed Dr. Adams, who is along for the ride. He had maps and charts and our x-rays and wanted to plan out our expidition as we flew. As it turned out he had to read a couple of magazines instead.

"Gentlemen, I am glad you are awake. We would have played hell getting your large friend here off of the plane and on to the helicopter." Dr. Adams tried a weak smile at the end of the weak attempt at humor. It didn't play.

"Lets get this over with." Lou tells him.
The plane comes to a stop fifty feet from one of the Antonelli family helicopters. There is a black limousine parked off to the side. Dr. Adams gathers his things and leads us off the plane.

"I thought you two should know... " He is talking to Lou and me, we are at the front of the procession with him. "You both had metal fragments in your bodies that seem to match the locations of the wounds you told me about." He stops and turns and looks at Lou, "You, sir, have a broken rib at the location of one of those spots, broken and healed long ago."

Lou grunts, "No surprise to me. You should have been there."

We say our goodbyes to Mike and Andy. It is funny, but we all know it is just for a while and we will see them again. Lou makes sure he gives Andy a big hug, a little longer than a manly hug... and he follows it up with a kiss on his ear. Andy pushes him away, red faced but smiling.
"You are one fucked up guy, Lou."
"Andy, you are a warrior, my friend. Thanks for having our backs out there."
"Ditto."

Mike says his goodbyes as well, two hands on the shake, a hug following it up. He seems to have lost a little of his innocense in this whole thing. But the guy can still cook.

As we watch them head toward the limo to take them to the main terminal, Dr. Adams feels the need to interupt.

"Gentlemen, we are as they say "burning daylight". We need to get going."

We load onto the helicopter and fly out of Sky Harbor. Phoenix is one hell of a big city and it seems to stretch out of sight. Five minutes of flight and I realize that we are near the edge of this metropolis and out over the desert. From the air, landmarks are not the same.

"Ahead there on the left is the Rio Salinas." Dr. Adams points to the ribbon of water below us.
"That doesn't help much." Chris tells him.
"Why don't we trace our way from Ft. McDowell. Is that on the map?"

Dr. Adams pulls one map on top of the other. "Yes, it is part of the parks system now and a museum." He shows the pilot the chart and the river below and we bank off to the north. He hasn't stopped talking since we landed in Phoenix and it is starting to get on my nerves.

After hovering at the park and actually landing in a spot across the road we are able to get our bearings as to which direction to head. We take off again, land further down the road and take another bearing. This happens at least a half a dozen times before it seems that Dr. Adams is going to give up.

"Gentlemen, I had hoped this would be easier than it is working out to be. Perhaps we should just rest on our laurels and head back to the ship."

"Put her down here." Lou taps the pilot, who drops the thousand or so feet and we touch down in the middle of what looks like nowhere. This time we get out, the four of us, leaving chatty Cathy behind.

"Look familiar?" Lou shouts over the sound of the chopper. He points toward a low lying valley that rises up to mountains ahead. I look at him, then back behind us in the opposite direction. We are standing near in the valley where I was shot in the back by the troops. Ahead of us would have been the company of soldiers that we had slaughtered with the help of the warriors.

That means to the right of us, those peaks... that is the entrance to the Sacred Mountains, or Superstition Mountains by modern terms. It is chilling to be standing here. There is no evidence to support our claim of a battle that took place nearly a hundred and twenty years ago, but it is as fresh in our minds as though it happened yesterday, and it pretty much did.

We tell Adams about this and he has the pilot radio back to Sky Harbor. The pilot shuts the chopper down and we wait.
"What are we waiting for?" Chris seems impatient. None of us has had anything to eat since last night and I think it is past feeding time.

"Our transportation, Chris."
Minutes later there is the deep thumping sound of a huge helicopter. We turn toward the sound and pick out the growing dot in the sky of a Sky Crane helo with a H-1 Hummer dangling below. It is on site in a few more minutes and drops its cargo within a hundred yards of us. When it departs, we converge on the vehicle.

"Gentlemen, please... lead the way."